We love to share what we do because writing is fun!
Both Natasha and I love to visit school classrooms to talk to students about writing, read one of our books or give a behind-the-scenes peak at everything that goes into making a book. If you teach in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/Saint Paul) metro area, drop us a quick line about visiting your classroom.
Sample School Visit Itinerary
- We will briefly talk about what an author and illustrator does and how they work together to create a book.
- With the help of our butterfly finger puppet, we’ll read a book Butterflies Don’t Chew Bubblegum to your students.
- If you’re interested in crafts we have some related crafts and educational activities that help teach counting, colors and motor skills.
- We will talk about writing and what it takes to get a book a book published. There are lots of people behind the scenes (like the book printer, the editor who checks the spelling) who help get a book on the shelves.
- Then we can read a short book such as Butterflies Don’t Chew Bubblegum and answer questions about what it is like to be an author.
Butterflies Don’t Chew Bubblegum
Activity summary: Learn counting while making a butterfly, practice lacing around a butterfly’s wings, color a butterfly.
Download Lesson Plan (pdf)
Activity summary: Read a poem about respect and discuss what it means to be respectful.Download Respect Lesson Plan (pdf)